Thursday, April 22, 2010

Delicious food!

Yummmm is all I can think as I sit in my staff room day dreaming about the delicious Tongan meal I made last night. It was a simple meal it but has become one of my favorites here in Tonga since it is so easy to prepare, inexpensive and delicious.

What is this meal you wonder and where can I find the recipe?? It’s fish boiled in coconut milk with root crop and you can find an Americanized recipe right here!

Ika lolo’i mo me’akai / Succulent fish in coconut milk with potatoes

Ingredients –1 serving, but easily doubled or quadrupled

1.5 cans of coconut milk –found at an Asian market, specialty store, or Whole Foods.

½ pound fresh fish –preferably light white fish. For authenticity, it should be a salt-water fish, no salmon allowed!

1 cup of potatoes cut into one-inch chunks (if you don’t have yams, taro, or manioke)

Directions

Boil the potatoes until they are nice and soft and set aside.

Bring the coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan and reduce until your desired consistency. I like it similar to curry or soup.

Once the coconut milk is at the desired consistency, add chunks of fish cut into bite size pieces. Let the fish cook in the boiling coconut milk for 5-10 min or until the fish is flaky when you pull it with a fork.

Serve in a bowl with the potatoes in the soup or on the side. Add salt as desired.

The dish can also be served with toast to dip in the coconut milk.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment